With money seeming tighter and tighter these days, many of us are finding that dining out has become a thing of the past. We've all been eating more meals at home.

It's been months since I've dined out! Yet, I still want to enjoy a nice dinner from time to time and feel like I'm getting a restaurant quality meal at a fraction of the cost!

So with a little experimenting, paying a little closer attention to sale items, and a few kitchen enhancements (spice replenishments, a few handy untensils, some extra mixing bowls...) I've made some really fantastic dinners...without ever having to find a parking spot or leave a tip!

JANUARY 9TH, 2O11:
Hello followers! Hope you've enjoyed my blog so far. I'm so glad you all keep checking even though my posts last year were few and far between.
Like a lot of you, I am going to commit to post more often this year, at the very least once a week @ the cooking blog. The baking blog, I'll aim for once a month or so.
My intention is to post on the cooking blog ALL my favorite recipes this year and put together a cool, little cookbook for my kitchen at the end of the year. :)
(You'll notice recipes at the end of each post. The text in bold are my modifications and there is a link to the original recipe at the bottom for your convenience)

Keep checking back to see what I've been mixin' up...

Monday, October 25, 2010

A Simple Favorite

Tater Tot Casserole!

This was one of my favorite dinners growing up.  I remember it was always a big deal who (my sister or I) would get to pick which veggie Mom would use each time she prepared it.  My choice was always peas...my sister's broccoli (yuk!)...though I LOVE broccoli now :)

This is a simple and cozy dish and you'll almost always have these ingredients on hand...or at least you should!

1 lb. lean hamburger OR ground turkey
1/2 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can milk
1 can veggie of choice, or 1 can mixed veggies
salt and pepper to taste
1/2c. shredded cheddar
tater tots!


Preheat oven to  350.

Heat 2 T. olive oil over high heat...add and saute onions and garlic
Add hamburger or turkey and brown lightly.  Drain
In large bowl, combine meat, soup, milk and veggies well.  Salt and pepper to taste.
Pour mixture into casserole dish... 9x13
Layer tater tots on top of mixture, cover with foil

Bake in preheated over for 30 minutes.  Remove foil, sprinkle cheese over casserole and bake another 10 minutes.

Voila, you have a tasty, cozy and very economic meal with LOTS of leftovers!  I usually serve with a nice hearty, dark bread.  My favorite lately is Fresh and Easy's Harvest Loaf (pictured below).  A MUST try!













2 comments:

  1. Wow I never heard of such a thingbeforebut it sounds great! I amgonnahave to try it some time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really yummy and I can guarantee BOTH of the kids will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete