With money seeming tighter and tighter these days, many of us are finding that dining out has become a thing of the past. We've all been eating more meals at home.

It's been months since I've dined out! Yet, I still want to enjoy a nice dinner from time to time and feel like I'm getting a restaurant quality meal at a fraction of the cost!

So with a little experimenting, paying a little closer attention to sale items, and a few kitchen enhancements (spice replenishments, a few handy untensils, some extra mixing bowls...) I've made some really fantastic dinners...without ever having to find a parking spot or leave a tip!

JANUARY 9TH, 2O11:
Hello followers! Hope you've enjoyed my blog so far. I'm so glad you all keep checking even though my posts last year were few and far between.
Like a lot of you, I am going to commit to post more often this year, at the very least once a week @ the cooking blog. The baking blog, I'll aim for once a month or so.
My intention is to post on the cooking blog ALL my favorite recipes this year and put together a cool, little cookbook for my kitchen at the end of the year. :)
(You'll notice recipes at the end of each post. The text in bold are my modifications and there is a link to the original recipe at the bottom for your convenience)

Keep checking back to see what I've been mixin' up...

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Mixin It Up's Debut Dinner!

BBQ Chicken

Tonight BBQ chicken was on the menu.  This meal cost approximately $3/person to make as was absoulutely delicious!  The chicken was tender and juicy with a perfectly crusty skin (which I don't eat, but can appreciate!)

First, the pieces of chicken were coated with my favorite BBQ sauce..Sweet Baby Ray's.


After about an hour in the fridge marinating, I fired up the grill to high and let it preheat.
Once the grill was fully preheated, I placed the chicken (skin side down) over the hottest parts of the grill and allowed it to cook for 5 minutes...being careful not to move the chicken at all during this initial searing.
Then I flipped the chicken over and cooked on high for another 5 minutes. 
After searing both sides of the chicken, I flipped the pieces once more and moved them away from the flames and allowed them to cook on MEDIUM heat for another 10-15 minutes until fully cooked, and juices run clear.

Meanwhile, I was preparing baked potatoes and sweet corn for sides.  I was also reheating the BBQ sauce marinade over medium high heat.  Its safe to use on cooked chicken after boiling for at least 3 minutes.  I used the remaining sauce to baste the chicken as it cooked during the last 10 minutes.

The end result was a satisfying, inexpensive and easy dinner...

4 comments:

  1. That chicken looks soooo tasty! Can't wait to see what else you cook up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Let's! By the way...can you believe I eat dark meat now? Being broke did that to me. I've learned to tolerate it cooked certain ways.

    ReplyDelete