With money seeming tighter and tighter these days, many of us are finding that dining out has become a thing of the past. We've all been eating more meals at home.

It's been months since I've dined out! Yet, I still want to enjoy a nice dinner from time to time and feel like I'm getting a restaurant quality meal at a fraction of the cost!

So with a little experimenting, paying a little closer attention to sale items, and a few kitchen enhancements (spice replenishments, a few handy untensils, some extra mixing bowls...) I've made some really fantastic dinners...without ever having to find a parking spot or leave a tip!

JANUARY 9TH, 2O11:
Hello followers! Hope you've enjoyed my blog so far. I'm so glad you all keep checking even though my posts last year were few and far between.
Like a lot of you, I am going to commit to post more often this year, at the very least once a week @ the cooking blog. The baking blog, I'll aim for once a month or so.
My intention is to post on the cooking blog ALL my favorite recipes this year and put together a cool, little cookbook for my kitchen at the end of the year. :)
(You'll notice recipes at the end of each post. The text in bold are my modifications and there is a link to the original recipe at the bottom for your convenience)

Keep checking back to see what I've been mixin' up...

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Turkey Tot Ome-LOT!

One of the best things about weekends has to be sleeping in late and indulging on a nice, big brunch!  In the past, it was more a question on where to enjoy brunch...but as we all know, these days its what to make for brunch.

I woke up, made a pot of coffee and did a little web surfing while contemplating what to make.  All I really knew was that I wanted to use up some leftover cooked ground turkey I had on hand.  I was thinking maybe an omelet, hash browns and some sort of fresh fruit.  Sounds boring though and I wasn't overly excited to get started with it.  Then, out of no where inspiration hit...I thought, why not try tater tots broken up inside the omelet instead of boring HB's on the side?  I shall call it my Turkey Tot Omelet!!  Or, Ome-LOT as it turned out...

First, I cooked up the tots..."fry little piggies, FRY!!"
Once the tots were cooked, I removed them to a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.

Turkey time...


The turkey was leftover from spaghetti earlier in the week.  It was already seasoned and cooked.  I just tossed the ground turkey around in a hot skillet over medium-high heat until it was reheated thoroughly, then I removed the turkey to a bowl and set aside while I prepared the eggs.





This was the 1st omelet (for my roomie) I poured 2 beaten eggs (2 whites, one yolk, with about a teaspoon of cold water mixed in) into the preheated skillet over medium heat.  I then added the ground turkey on top.
For my omelet, I modified this step...I put the crumbled tots over the eggs.

Once the first side was cooked, I flipped the omelet and added a slice of mozzarella, some fresh baby spinach and a few tots, crumbled...in that order.  (For my omelet, the order was mozzarella, turkey, spinach)


A few minutes later the OME-LOT was born!!  I couldn't believe how massive it turned out to be!!  Next time, we could easily share 1 omelot.

 A meat encrusted omelet oozing potatoes...what dude wouldn't love that?  Sean promptly
covered his omelet in ketchup and went to town.  He said it was excellent!






I covered my tot-encrusted omelet with spicy salsa and a dollop of sour cream.  Mmm, and sliced roma tomatoes (almost always on sale at Freah & Easy as a 5-6 pack for only 98 cents!) on the side...always a GREAT flavor paired with any omelet.

Another cheap, easy and yummy meal prepared for about $3 per person and in about 30 minutes!  Try it out, you'll love it!! 

3 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering Ally!! Gonna try this recipe since I absolutely LOVE omlettes!!! Good deal too. HAHAHA "Fry little piggies FRY!! dazed and confused! good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be doing these again..I recommend the tot-encrusted version because when you flip the omelet over the first time, the tots get to cook and get extra crispy and yummy!

    ReplyDelete