With money seeming tighter and tighter these days, many of us are finding that dining out has become a thing of the past. We've all been eating more meals at home.

It's been months since I've dined out! Yet, I still want to enjoy a nice dinner from time to time and feel like I'm getting a restaurant quality meal at a fraction of the cost!

So with a little experimenting, paying a little closer attention to sale items, and a few kitchen enhancements (spice replenishments, a few handy untensils, some extra mixing bowls...) I've made some really fantastic dinners...without ever having to find a parking spot or leave a tip!

JANUARY 9TH, 2O11:
Hello followers! Hope you've enjoyed my blog so far. I'm so glad you all keep checking even though my posts last year were few and far between.
Like a lot of you, I am going to commit to post more often this year, at the very least once a week @ the cooking blog. The baking blog, I'll aim for once a month or so.
My intention is to post on the cooking blog ALL my favorite recipes this year and put together a cool, little cookbook for my kitchen at the end of the year. :)
(You'll notice recipes at the end of each post. The text in bold are my modifications and there is a link to the original recipe at the bottom for your convenience)

Keep checking back to see what I've been mixin' up...

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Enchiladas...a dream come true for leftovers!!



For a long time now I've been meaning to find a really great red enchilada sauce to buy so I can start practicing making enchiladas.  I've never made them before..but they are a GREAT meal plan for any type of leftover meat or chicken you may have.  For this recipe, I had some leftover roasted chicken to use up.  This recipe (complete with a HOMEMADE enchilada sauce) is SO amazing that I plan to make a pot roast over the weekend so I make them again next week!

I was finally motivated to seek out this recipe when I found myself with a mean hankering for chicken enchiladas from my favorite local Mexican restaurant...Cancun Fresh. I may have also been inspired by the newest addition to our home...a little Chihuahua named Vito :)

Alas, dining out just isn't in the budget, SO...here I go again...attempting something completely new to satisfy a mean craving!

You must try this delicious Red Enchilada Sauce recipe.  I modified the original version I found online.  It's easy to do and taste absolutely delightful.  It'll be a good excuse for you to get a few more spices to update your spice rack...this is essential for cooking more meals at home and saving yourself a LOT of $$$!

Red Enchilada Sauce
Makes about 3 cups
1 T. olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 T onion, minced
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. dried basil
salt and coarse ground pepper to taste
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground cilantro
1/2 cup salsa of choice
(for this recipe I used a jarred smokey chipotle salsa which was good but, next time i will use fresh salsa for a lighter, fresher flavor) 
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium

Heat the oil over medium heat in a large sauce pan.  When hot, add minced garlic and onions and saute for 1-2 minutes.  Add oregano, chili powder, basil, ground black pepper, salt, cumin, cilantro, salsa and tomato sauce.
Mix together and then stir in chicken broth.  Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
That's it...it's too easy!!

Mmm...doesn't that look absolutely yummy?!

Okay, now it's time to whip up the enchiladas...starting, of course, with the 'insides'...

About 2 cups shredded leftover meat of choice...roasted chicken worked beautifully.
1 onion, chopped
2 T. olive oil
1/2 pint sour cream
Shredded cheddar cheese...who measures cheese??
Shredded 4-cheese Mexican blend
1 T. dried cilantro
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. coarse ground pepper
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 chicken broth, reduced sodium
1 T. chili powder
1 (4oz) can diced green chilies
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups of your yummy enchilada sauce!
corn tortillas

Preheat oven to 325 degrees
In a medium, non stick pan heat tortillas (8-10) for a few seconds on each side over high heat just until pliable.  Set aside.

In a medium, non-stick skillet (same skillet you heated the tortillas in), heat 2 T olive oil over medium heat...add onion and garlic and saute for a few minutes.  Add chicken, sour cream, cheddar cheese, cilantro, oregano and ground black pepper.  Heat until cheese melts. Stir in salt, tomato sauce, broth, chili powder, and green chilies.


Add some of the mixture onto tortillas (dipped first in your enchilada sauce), loosely roll and place in baking dish.
Cover with your remaining enchilada sauce.  Sprinkle with the Mexican 4-cheese blend and bake UNCOVERED for 20 minutes.  Cool for 10 minutes. 

Voila...I made enchiladas!!!
 





I served them with Mexican rice and refried beans...the rice was a dry packaged mixed.  I happened to have Lipton's Taco Rice mix on hand.  The beans were fat-free canned, heated over low heat with about 2 tablespoons of butter melted in.  Then a bit of cheese sprinkled on top...of course!




Hope you all try this one...it will become a favorite in your household!

1 comment: