With money seeming tighter and tighter these days, many of us are finding that dining out has become a thing of the past. We've all been eating more meals at home.

It's been months since I've dined out! Yet, I still want to enjoy a nice dinner from time to time and feel like I'm getting a restaurant quality meal at a fraction of the cost!

So with a little experimenting, paying a little closer attention to sale items, and a few kitchen enhancements (spice replenishments, a few handy untensils, some extra mixing bowls...) I've made some really fantastic dinners...without ever having to find a parking spot or leave a tip!

JANUARY 9TH, 2O11:
Hello followers! Hope you've enjoyed my blog so far. I'm so glad you all keep checking even though my posts last year were few and far between.
Like a lot of you, I am going to commit to post more often this year, at the very least once a week @ the cooking blog. The baking blog, I'll aim for once a month or so.
My intention is to post on the cooking blog ALL my favorite recipes this year and put together a cool, little cookbook for my kitchen at the end of the year. :)
(You'll notice recipes at the end of each post. The text in bold are my modifications and there is a link to the original recipe at the bottom for your convenience)

Keep checking back to see what I've been mixin' up...

Thursday, November 18, 2010

A for Autumn...and Apples!

Last week, out of no where I found myself dying for a bowl of apple crisp with a scoop of cinnamon ice cream.  I realized I couldn't even remember the last time I'd had this delicious dessert.  It seems back home that there was no escaping apple crisp in the fall..it was everywhere!  Every restaurant and in everyone's home.  A definite Midwest treasure.

So off to the store I went to find some tasty apples for my fall treat.

If you've never tried a crisp, you really need to do it before fall is over.  It's just too easy and couldn't be more wonderful on a crisp autumn day.  Do it this weekend!
Just peel, core and slice about 5 cups of apples..usually 1 apple equals about 1 cup
1 c. white sugar
1T. all purpose flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg, if you like...I don't.
1/2 cup water (optional--depending on how ooey and gooey you want your apples)

1c. quick cooking oats
1c. flour
1c. packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 c. butter, melted

Preheat over to 350

Put your apples in a 9x13 pan...or really any kind of baking dish.  I used a big white casserole thing for mine and it was perfect.  Just cook a little longer if your using a deeper casserole type dish. Mix your sugar and spices, 1T. flour and mix it all together.  Pour your 1/2 water evenly over the top...or you can pour a couple tablespoons of melted butter over the apples instead...for an extra yummy-ness.



Next, combine oats, 1c. flour, baking soda, baking flour and melted butter together...I always add about 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to this topping mix too..cause, well, I LOVE cinnamon!
Crumble the mixture evenly over the apple mixture.

Bake for about 45 minutes..serve warm with cinnamon ice cream, if you can find it.  Otherwise vanilla will do just fine!
YUM time!

No comments:

Post a Comment