With money seeming tighter and tighter these days, many of us are finding that dining out has become a thing of the past. We've all been eating more meals at home.

It's been months since I've dined out! Yet, I still want to enjoy a nice dinner from time to time and feel like I'm getting a restaurant quality meal at a fraction of the cost!

So with a little experimenting, paying a little closer attention to sale items, and a few kitchen enhancements (spice replenishments, a few handy untensils, some extra mixing bowls...) I've made some really fantastic dinners...without ever having to find a parking spot or leave a tip!

JANUARY 9TH, 2O11:
Hello followers! Hope you've enjoyed my blog so far. I'm so glad you all keep checking even though my posts last year were few and far between.
Like a lot of you, I am going to commit to post more often this year, at the very least once a week @ the cooking blog. The baking blog, I'll aim for once a month or so.
My intention is to post on the cooking blog ALL my favorite recipes this year and put together a cool, little cookbook for my kitchen at the end of the year. :)
(You'll notice recipes at the end of each post. The text in bold are my modifications and there is a link to the original recipe at the bottom for your convenience)

Keep checking back to see what I've been mixin' up...

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Remember Goulash?

So last night I posted on Facebook some of the ingredients I had on hand and wanted to use up for dinner.  I was hoping to get some new ideas from my friends.  I did get some really good ideas, BUT, out of no where the BEST idea came to me...I have everything on hand to make up a great big, comforting, yummy pot of...GOULASH!
Oh man the memories that a plate of Goulash bring back.  My grandma made this quite often when I was growing up and I honestly grew insanely bored with this dish, but last night, it sounded like the perfect dish to keep my wintertime cooking theme going!





All prepped and ready to go...at this point, I can hardly wait for it to be done and on my plate!!

(But, you see there is a glass of wine there in the background to appease me while I prepare dinner :)




Ok, so drag out that big stock pan again...did I mention a Dutch oven is on my kitchen wishlist??  :)
To start, saute the ground beef until little pink remains, then add your chopped garlic and onions, saute another 5 minutes or so, until tender.
Now throw in about 3 cups of water, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes, bay leaves, Italian seasoning, Worcestershire, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Stir well, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.


Next add your macaroni, then cover again and simmer gently for 30 minutes


Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for another 30 minutes before serving with a salad and your favorite bread!




It was so delicious and very similar to how Grandma Miller used to make her Goulash.  This recipe makes a MASSIVE amount...plenty to freeze.
I hope you ALL try this one out.  Goulash is a dish that seems to have fallen out of most families dinner rotation.  I want to see a Goulash comeback!!  This dish was made for the trying times we live in now, it's VERY economical, satisfying and super easy to make.

Want MY Goulash recipe?--Click here to EMAIL ME

5 comments:

  1. Great idea! I was anxiously waiting to see what you had created. I love the idea that this can be frozen. Its great to have an easy home cooked meal that is heat and serve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think that's why we had it nearly every weekend and Grandma's. She probably made a massive batch a few times a year to freeze and then just grabbed some to thaw out when she knew we were coming over, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a batch in the freezer for tomorrow...we expecting a huge snow storm...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then there is still time to make up a big pot of it!!

    ReplyDelete