With money seeming tighter and tighter these days, many of us are finding that dining out has become a thing of the past. We've all been eating more meals at home.

It's been months since I've dined out! Yet, I still want to enjoy a nice dinner from time to time and feel like I'm getting a restaurant quality meal at a fraction of the cost!

So with a little experimenting, paying a little closer attention to sale items, and a few kitchen enhancements (spice replenishments, a few handy untensils, some extra mixing bowls...) I've made some really fantastic dinners...without ever having to find a parking spot or leave a tip!

JANUARY 9TH, 2O11:
Hello followers! Hope you've enjoyed my blog so far. I'm so glad you all keep checking even though my posts last year were few and far between.
Like a lot of you, I am going to commit to post more often this year, at the very least once a week @ the cooking blog. The baking blog, I'll aim for once a month or so.
My intention is to post on the cooking blog ALL my favorite recipes this year and put together a cool, little cookbook for my kitchen at the end of the year. :)
(You'll notice recipes at the end of each post. The text in bold are my modifications and there is a link to the original recipe at the bottom for your convenience)

Keep checking back to see what I've been mixin' up...

Sunday, January 9, 2011

For Whatever Ails You!



A few days ago I was feeling flu-ish.  Although the last place I wanted to be was in the kitchen, I did have nearly an entire roasted chicken in the fridge from the night before.  I knew that if I could manage the energy toat  spend some time in the kitchen, I could whip up a delicious chicken noodle soup that just may quiet whatever was ailing me.

I first added the remains of my whole, roasted chicken to a stock pot.  It was still intact...we had just picked at some of it for dinner the night before...it was so GREAT!!  One of these posts will be my basic roast chicken recipe...I change it a little every time I make a prissy!
Then I added enough water to cover, about 3 quarts.  To spruce up stock, I added 3 bay leaves, lemon pepper season, an onion and 2 pouches of Better than Bouillon.  I heated the pot over med-hi heat until just before it started to boil.  I then removed the chicken to a platter to cool and strained out the onions and bay leaves to discard.
Once the chicken was cool enough, I recruited my roommate, Sean to pick the bones clean.  Set aside the chicken.

Then you'll bring the stock back to a boil, add veggies and cook until tender.  Then the egg noodles and cook according to the package.

Once your noodles are cooked nicely, add the chicken, rosemary, parsley, mushrooms and sherry.  Then add the Parmesan and heavy cream, if you are using it.







SIDE NOTE:  Some of you may do this, but its a handy tip I thought I'd share for those of you that don't use a 'clean-hands' disposal bag. 
When preparing a meal, I always place a plastic grocery bag, or a couple of durable paper towels in one side of my sink to throw trimmings and trash away in.  This is not only more convenient than walking back and forth from the trash bin, it also keeps your hands AWAY from the germ-laden trash can.  When you're done, just swoop it up and throw it away!




OK...back to the soup!
Simmer all ingredients for about 15 minutes.  Serve with your a nice green salad and you're favorite bread.


The heavy cream and Parmesan add a really savory flavor and texture to the broth, yes, it is still a broth despite the appearance.  The addition of a small amount of heavy cream doesn't turn this it into a cream soup, it just boosts the broth up a tad.  This soup will knock your socks off.  Try it before wintertime is gone!

And, for the record...I think it worked!  I just felt icky for two nights and now whatever was ailing me seems to have been whooped, yet again, by good old Chicken Noodle Soup!




Mmm...get your own bite!!









Stock:
1 (2 1/2 to 3-pound) fryer chicken, cut up
3 1/2 quarts water
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 T.
1 T.
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 bay leaves
3 Better Than Bouillon, chicken flavored
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
lemon-pepper seasoning
Italian seasoning


Soup:
1 1/4c. sliced carrots
2 cups sliced celery, with leafy green tops
2 1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles
1 cup sliced Portabella mushrooms
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/3 cup cooking sherry
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 cup grated Parmesan, optional
3/4 cup heavy cream, optional
Seasoning salt
Freshly ground black pepper


For the stock: add all ingredients to a soup pot. Cook until chicken is tender, about 35 to 45 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and set aside to cool. Remove and discard bay leaves and onion. You should have approximately 3 quarts of stock. When chicken is cool enough to touch, pick bones clean, discarding bones, skin, and cartilage. Set chicken aside.
For the soup: bring stock back to a boil, add carrots, and cook for 3 minutes. Add celery and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Add egg noodles and cook according to directions on package. When noodles are done, add chicken, mushrooms, parsley, sherry and rosemary. Add Parmesan and cream, if using. Cook for another 2 minutes. Adjust seasoning, if needed, by adding seasoning salt and pepper. 

Original recipe-Click here

3 comments:

  1. There is nothing better then Homemade chicken noodle soup! I can't wait to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your spin with the heavy cream and the sherry.....two things I never add to my soup. We add egg noodles also....just love this soup. I am not surprise you were felling better to quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a recipe of Paula Deen's...I was hesitant about adding the heavy cream but I am so glad I did!! Just the bold text are my modifications. I'm going to get rid of the blue text...that is just confusing and transfered over when I copied the recipe. I hope you try this chicken noodle soup, Kirsten. It can be frozen too...just be sure to freeze in small amounts or in a freezer-safe container with a raised center.

    ReplyDelete