With money seeming tighter and tighter these days, many of us are finding that dining out has become a thing of the past. We've all been eating more meals at home.

It's been months since I've dined out! Yet, I still want to enjoy a nice dinner from time to time and feel like I'm getting a restaurant quality meal at a fraction of the cost!

So with a little experimenting, paying a little closer attention to sale items, and a few kitchen enhancements (spice replenishments, a few handy untensils, some extra mixing bowls...) I've made some really fantastic dinners...without ever having to find a parking spot or leave a tip!

JANUARY 9TH, 2O11:
Hello followers! Hope you've enjoyed my blog so far. I'm so glad you all keep checking even though my posts last year were few and far between.
Like a lot of you, I am going to commit to post more often this year, at the very least once a week @ the cooking blog. The baking blog, I'll aim for once a month or so.
My intention is to post on the cooking blog ALL my favorite recipes this year and put together a cool, little cookbook for my kitchen at the end of the year. :)
(You'll notice recipes at the end of each post. The text in bold are my modifications and there is a link to the original recipe at the bottom for your convenience)

Keep checking back to see what I've been mixin' up...

Monday, October 25, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup...a new FAVE for leftover chicken!

Last week I roasted a wonderful and juicy chicken...it was SO delicious and yet I found myself stumped on what to do with the leftover chicken! 

At first, I was planning to make Chicken Flautas one night and then Chicken Dumplings in the crock pot the next day with the remaining chicken.  Well, I guess my heart just wasn't in it and by today, I still have just over half of the bird left in my fridge.  The inspiration hit me last night while I was tossing and turning.  I wasn't feeling well and didn't sleep much during the night.  I remember each time I woke up, I heard it raining outside my window.  A sound that I love and always feels comforting to hear...ah, comforting...yet exciting...yes, that's IT!  I'll make Chicken Tortilla Soup!  This is another favorite dish I crave and often go for when dining outYet again, I have to say I was MORE than satisfied with my version and would easily be willing to whip up this robustly flavored soup the next time the craving hits!

PREP:
Mix together the perfect chicken tortilla soup spice mix (IMO)
Shred your leftover chicken
Chop onion and mince garlic


Perfect Spice Mix-for Chicken Tortilla Soup
1T. chili powder
1/4 tsp. each of the following:
garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, dried oregano, dried basil
1/2tsp. sweet paprika
1 1/2tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper

The Soup
3c. shredded chicken, cooked
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (15oz) can black beans, undrained
1 (15oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1 (10oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 (10oz) can diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 (32oz) box chicken broth, low sodium
Perfect Seasoning Mix (see recipe above)
Shredded cheddar, sour cream and tortilla chips; for topping.




In large stock pot, heat 4T. EVOO over high heat.  When oil is hot, add onion and garlic and lightly saute.
Add beans, corn, tomatoes, tomato sauce and 3/4 of box chicken broth, seasoning blend and mix well.  Bring to boil over medium high heat.







Add chicken and remaining broth and return to boil

Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes.  Stir occasionally to prevent beans from sticking.

Originally, I was going to serve my new favorite bread, F&E's Harvest Loaf but while I was at Fresh and Easy I came across the perfect tortilla chip to accompany my sopa!
(Don't you LOVE Fresh and Easy???)


And dinner is served

This was a delicious and hearty dinner that cost a total of $11 to make.  The soup had just enough heat with an light, savory broth and it was everything I want when I am searching for the perfect chicken tortilla soup!
The roommate and I enjoyed PLENTY and still had all this for leftovers...!

2 comments: