With money seeming tighter and tighter these days, many of us are finding that dining out has become a thing of the past. We've all been eating more meals at home.

It's been months since I've dined out! Yet, I still want to enjoy a nice dinner from time to time and feel like I'm getting a restaurant quality meal at a fraction of the cost!

So with a little experimenting, paying a little closer attention to sale items, and a few kitchen enhancements (spice replenishments, a few handy untensils, some extra mixing bowls...) I've made some really fantastic dinners...without ever having to find a parking spot or leave a tip!

JANUARY 9TH, 2O11:
Hello followers! Hope you've enjoyed my blog so far. I'm so glad you all keep checking even though my posts last year were few and far between.
Like a lot of you, I am going to commit to post more often this year, at the very least once a week @ the cooking blog. The baking blog, I'll aim for once a month or so.
My intention is to post on the cooking blog ALL my favorite recipes this year and put together a cool, little cookbook for my kitchen at the end of the year. :)
(You'll notice recipes at the end of each post. The text in bold are my modifications and there is a link to the original recipe at the bottom for your convenience)

Keep checking back to see what I've been mixin' up...

Friday, January 14, 2011

Whatchamacallit Casserole

I wanted tots.  I wanted cheese.  I wanted something besides chicken or hamburger.

From these wants, the TOT-AU-GRATIN  (or whatchamacallit??) was created!  I'm gonna do my best here to remember what all I threw into making this tasty casserole.

First I chopped up some ham I had on hand, and also diced 1 yellow onion.  Then I threw the ham and onions in a casserole dish and added about 3/4 of a bag of tater tots, tossed it all together well...Oh, I added some chopped portabella mushrooms and fresh parsley too!  I added some butter on top of it all because I forgot to grease the casserole dish..lol!




Next, the Au-Gratin sauce.  1 stick of butter and some chopped parsley was added to the saucepan.  I melted the butter and herb over we medium heat.  Once it was melted, I added some fresh chopped garlic.  If I make this again, I will have onions in the casserole OR garlic in the sauce...not both.






I cooked the garlic and the herbs in the butter for a couple minutes and then I mixed in about 3 tablespoons of flour until the mixture was smooth.
Next I mixed in about a cup and a half of milk...adding a litte at a time.  Stir and cook until mixture begins to thicken.  Time for the cheeeeeese!!  I added in oh, about a cup and a half of shredded Cheddar, some S&P and stirred it just until the cheese was melted.  Pour that cheesy goodness over the tot mixture, added a few sprigs of fresh thyme...and into the oven it went.  I had preheated the oven to about 375, I think it was.  Best probably to use whatever heat the tater tot package recommends.




The finished product...Tot-Au-Gratin!

If was pretty tasty, but as I mentioned before, I will likely leave out the chopped onions next time, OR cook them before adding to the casserole.  They didn't cook all the way and it was a tad too onion-y.  It did, however, completely quell my tater tot craving!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment