With money seeming tighter and tighter these days, many of us are finding that dining out has become a thing of the past. We've all been eating more meals at home.

It's been months since I've dined out! Yet, I still want to enjoy a nice dinner from time to time and feel like I'm getting a restaurant quality meal at a fraction of the cost!

So with a little experimenting, paying a little closer attention to sale items, and a few kitchen enhancements (spice replenishments, a few handy untensils, some extra mixing bowls...) I've made some really fantastic dinners...without ever having to find a parking spot or leave a tip!

JANUARY 9TH, 2O11:
Hello followers! Hope you've enjoyed my blog so far. I'm so glad you all keep checking even though my posts last year were few and far between.
Like a lot of you, I am going to commit to post more often this year, at the very least once a week @ the cooking blog. The baking blog, I'll aim for once a month or so.
My intention is to post on the cooking blog ALL my favorite recipes this year and put together a cool, little cookbook for my kitchen at the end of the year. :)
(You'll notice recipes at the end of each post. The text in bold are my modifications and there is a link to the original recipe at the bottom for your convenience)

Keep checking back to see what I've been mixin' up...

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Let the Wintertime cuisine commence!!



Winter=Chili...what else is there to say about that?  Each time I make chili there is always a tweak here and there, again, I think now I have found the KING of all chili recipes.  If there was ever a cookout...this would be my entry!  


All prepped and ready to get my Chili on!!










This recipes starts with a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat...once hot, throw in your bacon pieces and cook until crisp. Next, add in the onions, garlic, bay leaves and spices...saute for a few minutes.  Then throw in your ground meat and break it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks...
Now its time to get the party started for real with some beans and beer...ah yes.  I chose Fat Tire, before, during and after this wonderful winter meal :)
Throw in your beans and beer and mix it up a bit, 





















then add the tomatoes.



That's it!  Now your ready to turn down the heat, simmer your chili (just shy of 2 hours) and drink so more beer!



After simmering, taste for seasoning before serving (as if you haven't been 'tasting it' for the last 2 hours...haha) and serve however you LOVE your chili best.  I like mine with a little cheddar, green onions and just a dollup of sour cream.  And a prefer a hearty bread to crackers.  How do you like your chili?
This chili is truly a work of art and what's more is it makes a HUGE batch.  Plenty to freeze for later when you are dying for a chili fix but short on precious time!
6 slices thick-cut applewood smoked bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
3 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder...let me know if you can actually find this anywhere!
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried cilantro
1 tsp dried basil
~1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound 85 percent lean ground beef
1 pound ground turkey
1 cup beer (recommended: Fat Tire or Stella)
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (24-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (24-ounce)+1 8ozcan diced tomatoes, with juice

Directions

In large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until lightly crisp, stirring occasionally. Once the bacon is browned, add the garlic, onions, bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, chipotle chili powder, oregano, dried cilantro and chopped fresh parsley and smoked paprika and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until the vegetables are tender and seasonings are aromatic. Add the beef and break it up with a wooden spoon. Once beef is broken up and beginning to brown, add the pork. Break up with wooden spoon like the beef, and brown, until no longer pink, roughly 4 minutes. Stir in the beer and beans. Toss together, then add the crushed and diced tomatoes. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if necessary.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great...Instead of beer in My chili I add red wine and Dark Choclate Truffles!
    I hope you bring this to our Beer tasting and chili contest for the 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it!
    BTW...did you know Panera bread will give you freezer bags for their loaves of bread? I buy all our bread from Panera now. Since it's not super close to my house, I go in and buy about 5 various flavored loaves at a time and freeze them. This is a household (1 German and 1 Irish) where it is catastrophic to run out of bread!!! haha

    ReplyDelete