With money seeming tighter and tighter these days, many of us are finding that dining out has become a thing of the past. We've all been eating more meals at home.

It's been months since I've dined out! Yet, I still want to enjoy a nice dinner from time to time and feel like I'm getting a restaurant quality meal at a fraction of the cost!

So with a little experimenting, paying a little closer attention to sale items, and a few kitchen enhancements (spice replenishments, a few handy untensils, some extra mixing bowls...) I've made some really fantastic dinners...without ever having to find a parking spot or leave a tip!

JANUARY 9TH, 2O11:
Hello followers! Hope you've enjoyed my blog so far. I'm so glad you all keep checking even though my posts last year were few and far between.
Like a lot of you, I am going to commit to post more often this year, at the very least once a week @ the cooking blog. The baking blog, I'll aim for once a month or so.
My intention is to post on the cooking blog ALL my favorite recipes this year and put together a cool, little cookbook for my kitchen at the end of the year. :)
(You'll notice recipes at the end of each post. The text in bold are my modifications and there is a link to the original recipe at the bottom for your convenience)

Keep checking back to see what I've been mixin' up...

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Where's the Beef?

I am chickened OUT!!  Seems I've had nothing around but chicken for weeks on end..so I went out in search of a great roast and a great new rub recipe for it. 
Here is what I found (with my own modifications, of course!)

I bought a 2.5 pound tri tip roast for this recipe.
The spice rub is as follows:

1 1/4 T. paprika
1/2 T. sea salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp ground cayenne
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 dried thyme
2 T. olive oil

Preheat oven to 350
In a small bowl, mix all the spices together.  Stir in the olive oil and then let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes.
Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil..so you can rub the spices onto the roast and then just toss the foil away when you're done.  Its best to cook the roast in a roasting pan.
 Put the roast on the foil and cover on all sides with the spice mixture


Roast about 1 hour depending on the size of your roast, or to a min. internal temp of 145.  Let your roast sit about 20 minutes before slicing.
I served up the tri-tip with my garlic mashed potatoes and some green beans tossed with bacon pieces, sunflower seeds and some shredded parm...the gravy is just a standard simple gravy made with some of the drippings, a little bit of beef broth and corn starch.

1 comment: